Gammon Joint 2.25kg
Ideal for a roast and once cooked perfect for those ham sandwiches.
1. To start, weigh your meat to calculate cooking times. You’ll need to cook for 20 mins per 450g/1lb plus 20 mins.
2. Put the meat in a large pan, cover with cold water and bring to the boil, adding any flavourings you may wish eg cinnamon, bay, peppercorns, coriander seeds and onion.
3. Boil for half the calculated cooking time, periodically skimming and discarding any white froth that comes to the surface.
4. Drain, reserving the stock if you like, leave to cool a little. Remove the top layer of skin, leaving a thin layer of fat around the meat.
5. Place in a foil-lined roasting tin, cover with foil and bake for the remaining cooking time at 180C/fan 160C/gas 4. Twenty to thirty minutes before the end of cooking time, brush with the glaze of your choice – a mixture of maple syrup and coarse-grain mustard is good. Cook uncovered until the glaze is golden.