Established in 1793 by Isaac Aldens, Aldens Catering Butchers has remained a family owned business that is as passionate about quality meat, service and value for our customers as we were all those years ago. The company, originally based at Eastwyke Farm, has always been in Oxford. Right up until the 1970’s, beef, lamb and pork were reared and slaughtered on the farm and transported to the Aldens shops in Oxford’s historic covered market.
Throughout the 20th century, the butchers shop gained popularity, supplying a growing number of local restaurants and colleges. Combined with new laws affecting the meat industry, it was the perfect time for the company to naturally progress away from the city centre. In 1999, Aldens moved into a purpose-built production unit in Osney Mead- and this allowed the company to continue to improve efficiency and service, as well as the ability to deliver further afield (Now up to 100 miles from Oxford).
Aldens current Managing Director, Matthew Alden, was appointed in 2003. Taking over from his father, Richard, and has continued to grow our family owned business. Overseeing much progression, such as the evolution of Meatmaster from a small shop in the Covered Market, and the introduction of the Fishmarket the Butcher’s Kitchen into the family
While much has changed since 1793, now employing 90 people, and with a fleet of company owned vehicles, including Oxfordshire’s first fully electric delivery van, Aldens is now a state-of-the-art company, while retaining the traditional butchery methods and focus on quality and service.
All 8 Aldens Managing Directors
Robert Rodney Alden
Thomas Amos Alden
Leonard Stanley Alden
Robert Rhodes Alden
Richard Rhodes Alden
Leonard Henry Alden
Matthew Richard Alden
SIGN UP TO KEEP UPDATED WITH NEWS & OFFERS